Open House on Tuesdays is cancelled until further notice. Please email us to schedule an individual tour.
Most classes remain canceled. New Members’ Orientation classes are being scheduled. Please wear appropriate PPE.
Protospace is a community entirely driven by its members. We make things here, but we also maintain the space, do the repairs and run the classes. We always welcome new members with a variety of skill sets and skill levels. If you want to join up, there are a few steps:
- Come to an open house, also known as our Meet and Geek. This is the best chance to tour the space, meet our members and find out more about us.
There are two types of memberships at Protospace, and an additional group of friends:
- Full Members – Full members are usually employed adults, who share fully in the cost of operating tCome to an open house, also known as our Meet and Geek. This is the best chance to tour the space, meet our members and find out more about us.
Come to thehe space.
- Student Members – Students receive the same benefits as Full Members. We offer a discount to students (and others) in order to promote the maker culture and support young people and folks like working artists. Student Memberships are available to students, those with limited income, and those in special circumstances approved by the Directors or the Membership.
- Friends of Protospace – Friends are valued supporters and donors who believe in Protospace, but don’t necessarily participate. Examples include former members who have moved away, parents or guardians of younger members, and spouses who want to hang out while their partner makes gifts for them. Friends are often enthusiastic supporters of the maker culture. Friends are always welcome in the space, but they must be accompanied by a member except at public events. Friends cannot vote on member issues, and may have limited access to some tools or programs.
Note: Young people (members under the age of majority, teens or children) are welcome to participate, under the guidance of a parent or guardian. Generally, young people are “students”, but can be Full Members or Friends. More details are available in our Young Person Membership Policy.
You will need to pay your dues before your trial membership starts.
We offer a discount for new members: pay up front for your first two months, get a third free! We also offer a discount if you pay for a full year in advance: Pay for 11 months and get your 12th month free.
We offer a number of Payment options — cash, cheque, square, PayPal or Interac email transfer. Physical payments can be made at Protospace, usually during a Tuesday open House. You should receive a receipt. PayPal and Interac email transfer payments directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The easiest way to keep up on your dues is to set up a recurring subscription payment thorugh PayPal. Instructions for this can be found on our wiki page.
Our 2 guiding principles are:
- Be excellent to each other
- Don’t make us make a rule
We rely on our members to make things happen. Members are expected to pitch in to keep the place safe and tidy.