How to join
There are a few steps to becoming a member at Protospace:
- Please come to an open house. This is the best chance to meet people and find out about us.
- Then, apply by completing the application form, printing it out, and bringing it with you in person to an open house, or in person to any of the directors. You will also need to sign a release a liability waiver, and have someone verify that you have received the two-minute pre-flight safety briefing.
- Pay your first dues. Your membership does not start until both forms and money have been received.
- For the first month, you are a probationary member with a trial membership. During this period, we can get to know you and you can get to know us. During this time, find at least two other members who will sponsor your membership. (This is not hard.) We call this the “vetting period”.
- After the probationary period, you can be approved for membership, when you are “vetted”. A vetted member can receive a storage shelf, a key for 24×7 access, and full use of the facilities.
There are two kinds of memberships at Protospace, and an additional group of friends:
- Full Members – Full members are usually employed adults, who share fully in the cost of operating the space.
- Student Members – Students receive the same benefits as Full Members, just paying a bit less. We offer a discount to students (and others) in order to promote the maker culture and support young people and folks like working artists. Student Memberships are available to students, those with limited income, and those in special circumstances approved by the Directors or the Membership.
- Friends of Protospace – Friends are valued supporters and donors who believe in Protospace, but don’t necessarily participate. Examples include former members who have moved away, parents or guardians of younger members, and spouses who want to hang out while their partner makes gifts for them. Friends are often enthusiastic supporters of the maker culture. Friends are always welcome in the space, but they must be accompanied by a member except at public events. Friends cannot vote on member issues, and may have limited access to some tools or programs.
Note: Young people (members under the age of majority, teens or children) are welcome to participate, under the guidance of a parent or guardian. Generally, young people are “students”, but can be Full Members or Friends. More details are available in our Young Person Membership Policy.
You will also need to pay your first dues before your trial membership starts.
We we currently offer a discount for new members: pay up front for your first two months, get a third free!
You can pay your dues pretty much any way you’d like — cash, cheque, square or electronically through PayPal or Interac — one payment at a time. Physical payments should be made at Protospace, usually during a Tuesday open House, and you should receive a receipt.
You may also make paypal or interac email transfer payments directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The easiest way to keep up on your dues is to set up a recurring subscription payment. All of the options are linked to this wiki page.